The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread - Thanks Jane for sharing this super healthy recipe with us.
It is from mynewroots.org which is a great source of recipes. Please feel free to send us your favourite recipes so we can post them too. Make sure you drink lots of fluid- no wine doesn't count- to make sure this loaf brings positive changes.
Ingredients: (Makes 1 loaf)
- 1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds
- ½ cup / 90g flax seeds
- ½ cup / 65g hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats or quinoa flakes - easier for gluten free restrictions
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
- 1 tsp. fine grain sea salt (add ½ tsp. if using coarse salt)
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (for sugar-free diets, use a pinch of stevia)
- 3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
- 1 ½ cups / 350ml water
Angi's additions & tips.
- Feel free to add chopped fruits such as dates, goji berries and cranberries or subsitute pumpkin seeds for sunflower seeds. I've made this basic recipe with different additions each time and all have been outstanding. If you add more maple syrup it will be a wetter loaf and you may have trouble fipping it so what I did was lower the oven temperature and bake it without the flip.
- To make the chopping easier, I blended the water, almonds, dried fruit, psylium,maple syrup, salt and coconut oil in the blendtex and than mixed the contents in with the dry ingredients. The blended combo makes a great topping for other creations too.
- 1. In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable). Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Lower temperature - 300- 325 if you are using a convection oven.
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
- Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
- You can slice it really thin and bake at a low temperature to turn the slices into cracker/cookies.